GUESTS IN THE KITCHEN – COCONUT OIL
Dr. Daniel Eyink, known by his patients as Dr. Dan, is both a medical doctor and former chef. He is very focused on nutrition and nutrient dense foods. Dr. Dan introduced me to the value of coconut oil and this interview with Dr. Dan and his colleague, Sara Thielsen explains more about the benefits of virgin coconut oil.
CAC: “ What is your favorite oil?”
Dr. Dan: “Coconut Oil- virgin, organic, cold-pressed and unrefined coconut oil.”
CAC: ”Why is that?”
Dr.Dan: “There are many reasons:
- The medium chain fatty acids in coconut oil provide energy that the body can use more rapidly than any other fat source. These medium chain triglycerides are converted in the body for immediate energy, not stored in the body as fat. The body uses them as a quick and long lasting energy source.
- Cravings occur in the body when we aren’t getting the proper nutrients and fuel from food. Coconut oil is nourishing and satisfying, keeping us fuller longer, and when coupled with high quality vitamin and mineral sources, provides the body with the proper nutrient balance to decrease cravings.
- Strengthens the immune system and fights off infections
- Helps to alleviate skin issues such as acne, eczema, dry and itchy skin
- Helps brain function
- Suppresses inflammation
- With its high burning point, it is perfect for sautéing vegetables, stir fries, cooking eggs and seafood and baking.
- Tastes delicious in a smoothie, tea, oatmeal or on sourdough toast.”
Dr. Dan Eyink, MD, Board Certified in both Internal Medicine and Medical Acupuncture is also a former award-winning Executive Chef, awarded the Mobil Travel Guide’s Four-Star Chef Distinction for three consecutive years.
Sara Thielsen, NTP– Nutrition Counselor & Patient Advocate
Check out recipes using coconut oil and more at: http://www.drdansnaturalhealing.com/recipes.html and
Dr.Dan’s Healing Center site: www.drdansnaturalhealing.com